State of the Blogosphere
Technorati provided the annual State of the Blogosphere, based on a survey of 7,200 bloggers.
Some key takeaways as identified by Erick’s Schonfeld from TechCrunch:
- Self-employed bloggers now account for 21% of those surveyed, compared to 9% last year.
- But only 11% say their primary income comes from blogging.
- Hobbyists still make up the bulk of bloggers at 65%, but that is down from 72% last year
- Corporate bloggers now make up 4% of the total, up from 1% last year.
- Two thirds are male
- They use many types of social media (LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, StumbleUpon, Digg), but when it comes to driving traffic back to their blogs only two social media services really count: Facebook and Twitter
- Tablets and smartphones are impacting impacting blogging styles for 39% of bloggers
- Of those, 70% are writing shorter posts, 50% are posting photos from their smartphones, and 15% are using less Flash
- When writing about brands or products, 71% will only write about brands they approve of.
- One third boycott products, but only one fifth write about their boycotts
Check out the full slide presentation below.